Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Best Price - DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw


Product Details

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #2480 in Home Improvement
  • Size: 1
  • Brand: DEWALT
  • Model: DWS780
  • Number of items: 1
  • Dimensions: 19.75" h x23.50" w x30.50" l,56.00 pounds

Features

  • Integrated XPS cross cut positioning system provides adjustment-free cut line indication
  • Powerful 15 amp, 3,800 rpm motor delivers extended power and durability
  • Exclusive Back Fence design cuts up to 2 by 16 dimensional lumber at 90-degrees, 2 by 12 at 45 degrees
  • Adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 10 positive stops improves productivity, ensures accuracy
  • Super efficient dust collection system captures over 75-percent of dust generated

Customer Reviews

Most helpful customer reviews

275 of 286 people found the following review helpful.
1Another turd of a saw from Dewalt
By jeff2413
Ok a little background on who I am and what I do. I am not a weekend carpenter or a DYI'er. I am a finish carpenter by trade and do this everyday. It supports me and my family and is not just a hobby.

I bought this saw a couple of years ago and posted a 4 star review initially after using it for about a week or so. The new light system on it was really awesome when aligning the blade/cut. It was fairly light for a 12" saw and with my Forest Chopmaster blade the cuts were amazing.

This saw would be pretty kick a*s if they could change one thing on it....the linear bearings on the slide. Mine was nearly impossible to make a slide cut with the blade down in the cut position. When I first used it almost every cut I made was a chop (casing some windows, crown on some cabinets). Then I got into a set of stairs where I was cutting, or trying to cut, skirt boards. Holy crap. I thought something was wrong with my blade but when I made the cutting motion with no material on the saw it was the same deal. The saw apparently only has bearings on the right hand tube (I have read this). When you lower the head it torgues the crap out of the slides making it difficult to slide. This is just plain old stupid IMO. How much would it cost to improve the bearings on this saw?? Anyway, Dewalt hasn't made a good slide saw since the old DW706 or 708 (the one with the slides stacked vertically on top of each other). That saw was awesome. No gimmicks. Just a good strong saw that cut accurately. Should have never sold mine. I replaced with the 718 which was an absolute joke as far as a finish saw. I sold it to a framer and warned him of the saws limitations. That saw would cut perfectly square until you tried to make a long bevel cut (example was trimming my personal home with 7 1/2" base). When you beveled the saw either left or right, it would throw it out of square almost 2 degrees (this equaled about 1/4" on 7 1/2 material).

Anyway, I returned the saw and have no intentions of buying another Dewalt product (of any kind) until they can get a slide saw out that will perform. I'm sure someone is going to ask what I ended up with...I own 2) Hitachi C10FSH saws and also a Festool Kapex (I had 2 of them until some thief decided I didn't need it any longer). I am currently using the Hitachi while the Kapex rests on the shelf for nearly 3 months now. Hope this review helps and I welcome your comments or questions.

100 of 105 people found the following review helpful.
5Addition of XPS LED Light makes this a nice improvement over previous model
By Joel Avrunin
I'm writing this review not from the perspective of a home contractor or professional, but rather a home handyman / hobbyist. I do not have a huge collection of tools, but previous to receiving this DeWalt DWS780, my "chop saw" of choice was a Dewalt DW703, a 10" compound miter saw, single bevel. That DW703 has since been replaced by the largely similar DW713. Both saws had a smaller blade, and only a single-bevel with no slide.

Likewise, the DWS780 is replacing the similar DW718. Looking at both miter saws online, they are hard to distinguish except for the addition of the new XPS cross cut positioning system that I will discuss in a minute.

The DWS780 is truly a versatile saw, and you can tell the second you get the box that it is solidly built and not like some of the cheaper off-brand tools you see today. This is the quality you expect from DeWalt, and the saw is ready to be used the second you take it out of the box. Despite having a 15-amp motor and a huge 12" blade, it is surprisingly quiet, well balanced, and actually reasonably portable. With 1 hand I was able to carry it down to my work room in the basement. I have confidence that I can store and transport this tool without needing to have a permanent bench for it.

Most homeowners do not need more than a 10" single bevel miter saw. If you are doing flooring, shoe moulding, or other simple tasks, a "chop saw" with a single bevel is all you need. If you are graduating to crown moulding you will appreciate the double-bevel. The saw features clear marks for all angles and bevels, with positive stops for the commonly used angles of 0, 22.5, 33.9, 45, and 49. When evaluating miter saws, the smoothness and quality of the angle setting is a clear differentiator between the no-name China brands and DeWalt. If you can't set a consistent angle and hold it while you cut, you will be disappointed with the results. The DWS780 makes this part a breeze. All parts are well machined and move smoothly with no hang-ups or catches.

There's no need to repeat all of the specifications for board size, but I will note that the sliding part of this allows you to cut much larger boards than a 12" saw by itself would allow. I could easily see cutting cabinet shelfs with ease using this tool. The slide is equally smooth and well machined. Running the saw, the blade and motor are surprisingly quiet and lack of vibration shows the device is well balanced.

The most innovative change is the XPS system, and it is quite a nice addition. The previous DWS718 used a laser guide for the saw. It can often be tough to tell where the saw will hit, and the laser would mark the wood to make it easier to position. The problem was that the laser needs to be properly calibrated. The XPS system uses a flood of LED light with a thin shadow that gets cast on the workpiece. The LED light has two nice effects. First, it lights the entire area so you can see what you are doing. Second, by using the shadow of the blade to create a line, it makes an accurate mark that needs no calibration.

If you have simple needs, get yourself a small 10" DeWalt. But if you start getting serious about home improvement, then you definitely cannot go wrong with the new DWS780 and XPS cross cut positioning system.

65 of 68 people found the following review helpful.
2Terrible Slides, But Great Saw Otherwise, XPS is awesome.
By Amazon Customer
I'm going to start with the bad news first. Although I really liked most things about this saw, the slide was unacceptable. It was sticky, rough, noisy, and just generally unacceptable for a high quality, precision tool. I guess if you are just cutting framing lumber, or things that aren't going to be visible, it might still work for you because it the cuts are accurate, just ugly. Even then, I would quickly tire of making cuts with this all day because it takes a lot more pressure to slide the blade through cuts than normal.
I tried the slide adjustment screw, but it was already where it needs to be. Any tighter and it wouldn't slide, any looser and it might not be accurate plus it didn't fix the sticky slide. I even took things apart and found out why it doesn't work. Only the left side of the slide has real bearings, and they are factory lubed and sealed, no adjustment possible there. The right side of the slide only has two bronze bushing/bearings that are tightened/loosed by the adjustment screw. It appears to me that the bearings on the left side are either defective or inadequate. I tried out two store models and found the same problem. I'm thinking the bearings are just inadequate.

I really hated to return this saw. Actually I was planning to exchange it, but after finding the same problem in the display model, I opted for a refund.

If you can live with a sticky slide, here are a few of the good points: it cut square and true right out of the box; it seems to be quieter than average for this type of saw; it is lighter weight and easier to carry than average for a 12" sliding miter saw; and the "Integrated XPS cross cut positioning system" works great. In fact the XPS light is the most innovative and exciting feature I've seen on a tool in quite a while. Basically, how it seems to work is a bright LED light above the blade which casts a shadow of the kerf of the blade. As you bring the blade down, the shadow sharpens and you can see all the teeth in detail on whatever you are cutting. As a plus it also lights up the area you are cutting, so you can see even at night with no other lights on. There is a switch near the main saw trigger switch to turn it on or off. And it runs on AC power through the main cord, so no batteries to change. After a few test cuts to figure out where exactly you want the shadow in relation to your cut mark, you can start making quick, precise cuts.


Certain content that appears in this website comes from amazon services llc. this content is provided 'as is' and is subject to change or removal at any time. Engine Market is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment