Product Description
The DEWALT DWV012 10-Gallon Dust Extractor with Automatic Filter Clean is a fully assembled lightweight dust extractor. The unit features simple one switch operation to select tool actuation. The DWV012 also has multiple lift and tie down points to secure scaffolding or during transportation. Its heavy duty wheels and locking casters provide jobsite durability and its universal hose connector provides a robust connection with swivel capability. It also has easy access telescoping handle you can get from work area to work area easily. The DWV012 is a HEPA vac that comes with HEPA filters.
Product Details
- Amazon Sales Rank: #22275 in Home Improvement
- Brand: DEWALT
- Model: DWV012
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 28.25" h x19.25" w x23.00" l,
Features
- Automatic Filter Clean pulses every 30 seconds for continuous operations without stopping to clean filter. This is a HEPA vac that comes with HEPA filters
- Powerful 15-Amp motor delivers 140 CFM of airflow for maximum suction
- Power Tool Actuation controls the On/Off operations of the vacuum with a power tool
- Variable Suction controls vacuum's power consumption and amount of suction
- Telescoping handle for easy transport

Customer Reviews
Most helpful customer reviews
19 of 20 people found the following review helpful.Great product
By Semi-Nerdy
First impression: I like it.
Design: I'm a fan of the telescoping handle to make it easier to move around the garage. The large back wheels make moving it over terrain easy and the front swivel wheels are nice to pull in any direction you need. The unit was well constructed and everything fit and snapped together nicely. The dials have a good feel to them and click into place as you select different levels of suction or turn the unit on. The hose connection is really cool. Turn the fitting to unlock, put the hose in, turn fitting to lock. Created a nice tight coupling and was really fast and easy. The hose itself seems of good construction and the length of 15' is more than enough for me. Note that it is not anti-static it seems that this will be an attachment that will be released at a later date. For storage you can wrap the hose around the outside of the unit and it snaps into a nice hose holder which secures the hose nicely. There are not any attachment holders on the unit. Power cord is heavy duty and looks of good construction. It wraps around the top of the unit.
Use: I planed a couple of 8' boards leaving about 2 inch layer of saw dust. It powered through it no problem filling the canister almost completely full without any decrease in power. Every so often it just does it's little *thump* to clear the filter. The *thump* doesn't seem too much louder than the motor but noticeable when it happens. Bummer so far is it seems the Dewalt's universal adapters are not quite out yet so I couldn't hook this directly up to the planer. But i'm sure they will be out shortly.
I also attached this to my table saw running the saw power cable through the vac. The saw turned on and I think about 30 seconds later the vac turned on. It did a pretty good job sucking all the dust down as I made the several cuts on a piece of plywood. After I was all done just a little saw dust remained on the top the table saw. Once again without the adapter to the saws dust port I didn't quite have the perfect seal. The vac remains running for about 30 seconds after you stop the saw. The vac was noticeable but not too loud I think the specs say it runs at 73 dBA. The filters kept everything nicely contained in the vac didn't put a bunch of dust in the air it just sucked it up and kept it all within. Plus the unit has a lot of sucking power, I always said I wanted a vac that would suck the paint off my car. It doesn't do that but it's pretty darn good.
Cleanup: You can use bags (sold separately) with the vac if you would like but I just filled up the canister area, pulled the top off, put a garbage bag over the opening, flipped it over and dumped the contents out into the bag. It worked nicely. The unit is fairly light and when you get the heavier top off it flips over nicely. Just make sure you move the handle down.
Conclusion: Overall I liked it. The unit had plenty of power and did a nice when hooked up to the tools. At $499 I would have liked to have some more attachments come with the unit. Notably I would have liked to hook it directly up to my Dewalt 13" planer and table saw but I know those will be out shortly. Also it would be nice to have floor sweep or other attachment come directly with the vac. It's kind of a bummer to spend an extra $60.00 on those. I think I like the 2 HEPA filters instead of one hopefully to extend the life of the filters and make it easier to replace one at a time. Not really sure how that will go though. I guess time will tell. I'm a fan of the universal hose connection to me once everything has been released this will be a great feature. Good construction I can't wait to use the vac for years to come.
18 of 22 people found the following review helpful.Good, but not great at this price, how it compares to others
By G. Conner
Recently, I had a perfect opportunity to use this vacuum system along-side two other hepa-vac systems: the Festool CT26, a RIGID 16 gallon with hepa filters and bags, plus this DeWalt.
The job was at my friend's farm, which he just bought as a "distressed" property. Specifically, we had to clean the old chicken coop (with years of dried chicken poop) and clean another barn for his new tractor. Obviously for jobs like these, good dust collection and HEPA filters are necessary, along with face-masks and protective clothing. Yeah, it was gross. I was feeling somewhat queasy just standing in the coop. Then his neighbor delivered some fresh manure for his garden! I nearly puked in my face-mask.
I'll cut right to the chase...
All three vacuums worked well, including this one. The festool was a little smaller than the other two, but we found it had equivalent suction (CFM) and was generally easier to use. Festool has the best cord and hose management of these three units. This DeWalt and the RIGID 16 gallon are easier to maneuver because of the tall-handle. At least, it seemed that way when you don't want to bend down and get any closer than necessary to a floor encrusted with avian excrement.
Festool was the quietest, Rigid being a close second. This DeWalt was the loudest, but not by much.
After two full days of work, I can say all three vacs worked great, but it is worth noting that the Rigid costs substantially less than either the Festool or this DeWalt.
So, if DeWalt was trying to compete with Festool for performance, it did OK with this model, but DeWalt failed in the quality-vs-price category. This is nearly as expensive as the German-made Festool, but this one is made in China, is louder, bulkier. Even the bags and filters are expensive.
So if DeWalt intends to compete, they either have to raise the quality or lower the price. That doesn't mean this is a bad tool... it's good. It just has no advantage in quality or value.
Meanwhile, the relatively cheap RIGID did everything the other two vacs did for dirty work like this. It is not quite as quiet as the Festool, but not nearly as expensive... less than HALF the price of the Dewalt, a THIRD the price of Festool. The RIGID vac does not come with auto-on /off, clever hose-management or a minimal footprint. But for dirty jobs like this, who cares?
Also worth noting, the RIGID vac came with several accessory attachments including a crevice tool, water pickup nozzle and a brush.
Tips:
For a big nasty mess (like a chicken coop or bug-infested barn) sweep the floor at least twice using "sweeping compound".
If you haven't tried sweeping compound yet, I highly recommend it. Basically, it's saw-dust and chips with some sticky oil mixed in. You spread the compound all over the floor, then sweep it back up. The sticky sawdust and wood chips pick up tiny particles that brooms otherwise miss, while keeping dust to a minimum. That's the main thing with chicken poop... controlling dust.
If you must also provide some measure of sanitation, you can hose the floor down with water and bleach, which is what we did in the chicken coop full of chicken poop. After that, go in with the wet-dry shop vac of your choice.
Even with coveralls and full face protection and a change of footwear, I still felt like I needed two showers and a hose-down to thoroughly delouse after this job. It's also a good idea to wet-wipe the vacuum, hoses and electrical cords afterwards too. Two capfuls of household bleach in a bucket of water is a good solution. Of course you wear rubber gloves for this work!
This was a BIG job, ...a two-day-long nasty, stinky, disgusting, repugnant, unsanitary, disease-ridden, puke-in-your-dust-mask causing job.
And that's a great test for vacuums!
All three vacs performed well and so similarly, one wonders why anyone would pay more for a fancy tool.
Well, here's why...
If you want value... then get a regular shop-vac like the RIGID or another popular cheap brand your local store sells.
If you want German engineering and convenience-features (hose management, auto-on/off) then buy genuine German stuff like Mafell, Fein or Festool.
But None of us can figure out what DeWalt is thinking with this imported vacuum. It has nearly the price of a fancy teutonic tool, but not the quality or features. Sure... it sucks dirt and filters dust, but no better than any other important vac. Do they just want the extra profit without delivering the quality? Good luck...
I like DeWalt tools, but cannot support that kind of price gouging. My "brand-loyalty" stops when you intentionally overprice a simple thing like a shop-vac. There is no precision engineering here, no new exclusive feature, not even any esthetic design features... it's just a plastic canister with a motor, a bag, a filter and some wheels. It sucks dirt, that's all.
Meanwhile, the cheap shop vac we used (in this case a RIGID 16 gallon) worked ALL DAY, for TWO DAYS and actually picked up more nasty stuff than the other two, simply because it was bigger, so we did not have to change bags so often.
BTW, the 16 gallon RIGID filters are less expensive and easier to find too.
So... make your choice based on your needs.
If you are just using a vac for cleaning, and don't need auto-on/off & super compact portability, hose-management of Mafell or Festool, then you can do the job just as well with a 160-dollar home-store vac.
If you need all the features and are going to spend big bucks anyway, you might as well get German quality from one of the premium brands like Mafell, Fein or Festool.
Although I love all the Dewalt I own and have used, this is one of the worst examples of price gouging I've seen. It's not a bad vacuum, just way over-priced for it's class. It does not have the convenient features of Mafell & Festool, nor the quality of those or Fein. Neither of these vacs suck dirt any better than a cheap shop vac.
My rating of TWO stars is reasoned as follows: When a tool does what it is supposed to do at a reasonable price, I consider that a four-star product. That's plenty good enough for me in most situations. When a product has extra features that make it more convenient or less expensive to use, (cheap accessories like bags and filters or lower operating costs because of efficient motors for instance) then I would add a star to whatever quality-rating the tool normally deserves.
But when a tool as dirt-simple as a shop vac merely does its job, has no extra features, is of normal mediocre imported quality AND is EXPENSIVE... I have to deduct stars. This vacuum was not defective in any way. It just is not worth the exorbitant price. Hence, the two-star rating.
I hope that helps you make an informed choice for your needs.
6 of 8 people found the following review helpful.Great Vaccum
By Justin M.
I recently received this as a birthday present from my family. I have bad allergies and as I'm finding, wood dust is not healthy. I am a true dewalt fan and continue to acquire their tools. While most tools are absolutely awesome, I do find an occasional lemon. This is no lemon. I have used for the past few weeks with everything from dust extraction, vacuuming a workshop to vacuuming the cars out. It has performed incredibly well. I like the self cleaning filters. I also like that the decibels are under 85 meaning that I can still hear the radio with it running. It's not as loud as the typical shop vac that has you asking everyone to repeat themselves hours after it is off. The pulsing is relatively quiet as well, although my animals find it entertaining when it "hiccups" at them (they love vacuums for some reason). The tool actuator works well. This tool does exactly what it was designed to do.
Now for the flaws: it is incredibly expensive. I understand the technology is expensive but you can find higher rater cfm's for less money. The biggest detractor from this tool is that it comes with only the universal hose connector. This means that without the tool adaptors, I cannot hook it up to anything. It would be nice if they included one such as the dwv9120 with the tool or at least recommendations when purchasing it for the appropriate adaptors. The adaptors are not well labeled for their tools. I see this as a Dewalt customer service flaw and is why I docked a star for it. For the price of this tool, I should not have to conduct trial and error learning to find the right adaptors. Dewalt customer service, when I did manage to get ahold of them, was very helpful in providing me the information I needed to order the right part. Overall, this is another excellent tool from Dewalt and certainly will meet the needs of most individuals.
No comments:
Post a Comment